Monday, September 5, 2011

Teacher's Day


Now, I’ve only celebrated one Teacher Appreciation Week (TAW) in the US, but I believe that I have had enough exposure to know that India’s traditional “Teacher Day” kicks America’s ass. Traditionally, the only ass-kicking India does to America is in the fields of science, maths, and curry. ;) But experiencing Teacher’s Day in India made me realize that America has nothing on lovin’ its’ teachers.

We feel APPRECIATED!
Where I taught in the US, TAW was celebrated with bagels Monday morning, a canceled Wednesday morning staff meeting, and a specialty coffee making lady on Friday morning. At the time, I was tickled pink with joy. Usually I like kind words to show that I’m appreciated, so free bagels and coffee blew my mind.
I received more roses from
students than I've ever
received from boyfriends!

That was, until I came to school on the 5th of September. At first, I didn’t expect much. I just got in an autorickshaw and arrived at school like normal. But then the rickshaw driver didn’t charge me the normal 50 rupees (a little over a dollar). He just smiled and yelled something in Hindi and drove off. Walking into school, and throughout the rest of the day, I was hailed by children of all ages, bearing cards, roses, pens, smiles, high fives, elbow fives (I’m making that shit spread!) and the occasional chocolate (it is already well known that I’m a dark chocaholic). Teacher’s Day, it seems, is a day when students get the chance to hero worship their teachers, showering them with gifts, and begging them for their autographs.

He's me for the day :)
The best part came at morning assembly, where I was informed that students from 12 class would be acting like the teachers that day, taking our places in all our classes. I was replaced by a 12 class guy. Then, the students in charge (acting as the principal and vice principal) lead the teachers and students in rousing games of musical chairs, memory (Which I WON…mainly because the list of things to remember was in English!) and a singing competition, where a teacher would start singing a song, stop in a random part, and then the students would have to pick up where they left off. Hilarity ensued. Did we waste almost three hours of the school day? YES. Did I care? Ab-so-lute-ly NOT!
In the words of Charlie Sheen, "WINNING!"

After the students all left, the teachers had two hours of free time (class was let out early that day), so I spent time chatting with Shivali, a young woman who I adore. I also took the opportunity to learn how to do some Indian paper craft. It’s pretty sweet! After that, we were fed lunch…and I do love free food!

2 comments:

meembob87 said...

Kim...I want to come work in India too! Well, maybe not. The kids here need me, even if they don't shower me with gifts. ;)

meembob87 said...

Oh, this is Miriam, by the way.